Tuesday, June 29, 2010

It's a keeper...

I'm pretty much disgusted with everyone's "summer reading lists". I've seen and heard them everywhere during the month of June. I don't care about your lists. I have exactly the same amount of time to read in the summertime as I do in every other season. So, waaah. I know. I'm a whiner.

However, our library and a number of stores have some good incentives for getting kids to read during the summer. Half-Price Books has a summer reading program where kids earn gift cards for keeping track of their reading time. Our library's program lets kids earn a free ticket to a Rangers game and some other swag for reading a certain number of books. With Borders' Double Dog Dare program, kids get to choose a free book for every 10 books they read. This is easy enough for us, since I read to Simone every day, winter or summer.

The pumpkinhead loves books that "we get to keep" (rather than taking them back to the library in a few weeks), so I printed out a few forms and have been writing down names of books we read and how long we read for a few weeks now. This weekend, we took our lists to Half-Price Books and turned them in for some gift cards. We perused the kids' section for a while, then found one of our favorites -- Fantastic Mr. Fox.  We read it twice over the weekend. I guess I'll add it to the list of books we've read and take that list to Borders next weekend for another book that "we get to keep".

1 comment:

Lorus! said...

Hey Deb! Just wanted to share my summer reading list with you...