The pumpkinhead’s school requires that returning students register for the next school year in January. So I currently have a ream of paper to read and fill out. Maybe it’s just eight pages, but it seems like a lot because I have to look up Social Security numbers, addresses, telephone numbers, drivers license numbers, e-mail addresses, blah, blah, blah…
One of the forms is an acknowledgment that the parents and child fully understand the school’s expectations of its students. Both parent and student have to sign this. I explained to Simone that she will need to sign the paper.
Then I explained what “sign” means.
I told her that we write our names on a paper to show that we understand and will do what it says. I told her that this paper says that in order for her to go to her school for first grade next year, she will need to:
- Listen to her teacher and pay attention in class
- Follow the rules of the classroom and the school
- Work hard and do all of her work
- Get along with other students
- Ask for help if she needs it
- Tell her teacher or Mom and Dad if there is a problem that she can't work out with a classmate
After telling her all of this, I gave her the pen and showed her where to sign. She looked at me like I was a loon and said “No. I don’t want to sign that.”
She’s a rebel.