Monday, June 13, 2011

Hey, Rocky! Get down from there and watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat!

When I moved into my house nine years ago, I made the mistake of telling my brother that I was a little freaked out by all the squirrels around here. I've been teased about it since.

Those squirrels just seemed so brazen the way they didn't care that I was the new home owner and continued to jump into my yard for acorns and pecans. Luckily, I've overcome my aversion to the little rodents, and no longer run into the house when they leap out of a tree and into the yard with me. I actually enjoy watching them chase each other along the fence and up and down the trees -- from a distance. I even leave some squirrel treats around the yard for them from time to time.

Yesterday, I heard a weird noise coming from the kitchen. Weird noises are pretty normal around here lately, but I'd never heard this particular noise before, so I went to investigate. This is what I saw out the window above the kitchen sink:
A squirrel had jumped up onto the screen and was hanging on by his back claws while reaching out to get to the bird feeder. He tipped it far enough to let some seed spill onto the porch, then jumped down for lunch. A cardinal even joined him...
A little later, while working in the yard, I left a pile of peanuts a good distance away from my windows for the squirrels. I haven't seen or heard them attacking my windows since.
I've realized this weekend that my squirrel phobia is not completely gone. And with good reason, I think. Just look at his freakish hands. And the size of those toes!

No comments: